Tuesday 6 July 2010

Tenbury Regal - I was wrong.


(or was I)

In November 2009 I speculated that the heating at the Regal was costing up to £164 a day.

In December 2009 The Town Clerk was reported by the Tenbury Advertiser as saying my comments were "unhelpful".

In February 2010 A new meter was fitted and the Tariff was reduced.

In April 2010 I said "The Council still haven't received the electricity bill, but feel that it is unlikely to exceed £265 (Did I mishear or are they completely mad) Still there is the option that it is me that is completely deluded and my estimate of £75 per day is way off the mark. Guess time will tell."

In June 2010 The Town Clerk reported that the reduced Tariff had been back dated, as the delays in fitting the new meter were the fault of the supplier and not the Town Council.

And now I can reveal that the bill has finally arrived, and it's a touch more than £265.

At £10,710.56 (for 219 days) it is £48.90 a day, which I accept is much less than my (reduced) estimate of £75 per day, but of course the average has benefited from the last few months of above average temperatures.

Now, before I get the usual batch of hate mail and threats for posting a negative blog about Tenbury Town Council, remember all the decisions about installing the Electric Furnace were made in private by the Town Council with no public access to the meetings or the minutes.

I believe that very little was done in the way of running cost calculations before deciding on the electric system, it was chosen purely on the basis of least capital cost, (The Town will be paying the Capital cost of this boiler until 2019.) and even after I and a number of other people pointed out the the heating was being run up to 24 hours a day and the building was uncomfortably hot, little or no action was taken.

5 comments:

Fireman24 said...

Perhaps the Town Council could have a closed session and come up with a Tenbury Biomass Project to provide power to run the Regal’s heating or have a wiz idea and pipe methane from the new toilets

Anonymous said...

Lock em in the Regal, they produce enough hot air to heat the place for a year.

Anonymous said...

It's a lot of money

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I have a message for the webmaster/admin here at tenburywells.blogspot.com.

May I use some of the information from this blog post above if I provide a backlink back to your site?

Thanks,
Peter

@WR15 said...

Yes