Monday 6 September 2010

No Sitting on the Fence

The first thing I did in January when the new playground plans were shown for the first time was to write to the Town Council.

I closed my letter with the following sentence.

I realise that you are being guided by experts, but would hate it if I didn't raise this matter now and you were retrospectively forced to install fencing

And so they were, and the 'experts' concluded that their should be no fence.

Since the playground was opened, opinions have been exchanged back and forth about the merits of a fence or otherwise.

In April the Town Council discussed the fence and it was proposed. by Cllrs Austin/Corfield that a fence should be erected around the play area, the sand pit emptied and litter bins installed, 7 for the motion and 2 abstentions.

It has then been discussed at nearly every meeting since. Tonight after much further discussion (and several votes) it was again resolved that a fence be installed. (Although there is nothing in the budget to pay for it)

It still doesn't look as if anyone will be sitting on the fence anytime soon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't they just put the old fence back? I presume they kept the fence? It was next to the hedge. Will the 'expert' pay for this?

Ian said...

I'm a bit of a connoisseur (in company with my greandchildren!) of children's playgrounds in the UK and overseas - have yet to come across a modern one that is unfenced - except in Tenbury.

@WR15 said...

Only 5% of children's play areas are unfenced and those are usually in Parkland settings.

I *get* the fact that this play area is part of a larger scheme and aesthetically it looks better without a fence, but given it's location and the pressure on the Burgage for so many activities including dog walking, a fence should have been specified.

Bumblebee said...

As a father with 2 children of playground age my gut reaction is to question the logic of creating a new play area that's open to all comers. The last one wasn't perfect [and I prefer the new elements] but the old one did keep the small children in and [mostly] the older youths etc out.

By the sounds of it these areas have been mulled-over back and forth a few times by the local councils - which is only right and proper. I must admit though [as a 'regular' at such places] that I've seen no other similar playground for [potentially vulnerable] little folks sans some kind of fence though..

My own recent experience of this playground was one where my young daughter was playing happily on the kit. This lasted all of about 10 mins before a small group of youths decided that it was actually an ad hoc football pitch/assault course. Within minutes there were footballs flying about at speed and [mostly] at head height. Rather than create an ugly scene with these guys in front of toddlers we left.

A.T.Wellsman said...

Play ground, toilets, water on the road, etc etc etc
Maybe we should recall what Abe Lincon said about pleasing " some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, none of the people all of the time etc ".
Anyway all the councillors are up for re-election next year nows our chance to put words into action and stand!!!
.......but will you or is it easier to just lob the grenades over the fence and stay incognito.

@WR15 said...

I was a Cllr although not in Tenbury. I won't be standing here until I have enough free time to do the job properly.

All the Cllrs know who I am, and many agree with me off the record. (some of the time)

@WR15 said...

I was a Cllr although not in Tenbury. I won't be standing here until I have enough free time to do the job properly.

All the Cllrs know who I am, and many agree with me off the record. (some of the time)