Monday, 11 July 2011

Tesco Tenbury - New Application Expected Soon

Tesco are expected to make a new application to MHDC within the next few weeks.

Their "Version 3" plan is expected to feature a mostly glazed structure with wooden detailing.  The store will sit back slightly further on the site to allow room for a "Market Space" which could be used for market stalls, for instance during the Mistletoe festival.  It could also be a mustering place for the various Tenbury Parades.


Some of the glazed panels in the lobby area will feature detailing by a local artist influenced by the Orchards & Hop Gardens of the Teme Valley.  


The outline of the Old Infirmary, that will need to be demolished to make way for the store, may be shown in brick set into the tarmac, whilst other glass panels reflect the building that is no longer there.

The plan still only includes about 100 parking spaces.

Tesco hope that the store will open in time for Christmas 2012.

244 comments:

1 – 200 of 244   Newer›   Newest»
Anonymous said...

Yuk!

Anonymous said...

The RBB Building is the key.. MHDC stipulated clearly that it was within Tenbury's Conservation Area. They also said that it was too important a building to Tenbury's history to demolish (just because some multinational wanted to muscle-in on the site).

The site requires approx 150 parking spaces for this size of building. With the existing Tenbury high street parking that Tesco want to rip out it reduces the parking quota to well below 100 places which is nowhere near the official requirement.

@WR15 said...

I think careful reading of the decision notice, actually says (my words not theirs) that you can't knock it down until a replacement has been agreed upon.

Anonymous said...

Bring it on.

Anonymous said...

no building is ever goig to tick the right boxes for everyone at least this time they are trying to add a bit more of 'tenbury' into the design.

Anonymous said...

Looks like any other Tesco store to me......AWFUL.

Anonymous said...

It is a Tesco. What do you expect it to look like. A mosque?

Anonymous said...

well done tesco they are listening to the people
bring it on
a brilliant design

Anonymous said...

its no good moaning about it tesco will be coming to tenbury weather its next year or in 5 years we will be getting a tesco like it or not i for one would rather it came sooner than later we are going to have enough up heavel with the bridge work ect i say get it done get other works done to tenbury and put the whole lot behind as and move on if you dont like tesco you dont have to shop there im sure there is enough loyality out there for the non likers to substain the local shops by themselfs

Milender said...

WR 15, you are not impartial; you clearly think that the Tesco store is a good thing (your reverent review of the cynical attempt by Tesco to get a 'local profile' in the revised plan is unpleasant).
whatever the credentials of a store of any design, the message is the same, Tesco in Tenbury is the end of Tenbury as we know and love it.

@WR15 said...

Milender. My position stays the same. I am neither pro or anti Tesco. I think, from a financial viewpoint, the site is most likely to be used for retail by a major supermarket. I agree with the Retail Analyst that a major supermarket will not damage the town overall (but will provide competition to some). There are elements of the proposed design which I don't like, some of which I relayed direct to the designers representatives at a recent meeting. Other items I will relay by other channels. I was one of only a few people who made a comprehensive & detailed objection to the first planning application. (unlike so many others that objected either on non-planning grounds or just used cloned letters)

All in all I think your assumptions are a little wide of the mark.

Anonymous said...

It will be a sad day for the town if Tesco are successful. Whilst I also would not be first in line to shop at a Tesco store in Tenbury (if they succeed), ultimately the damage that will probably be caused to local businesses (especially after some months of bridge closure)will undoubtedly lead to a reduction in the variety of local shops and a reduction in the product range within those shops.

It is a pity that Tenbury will gain a major supermarket in the decade that will hopefully see the end of such self-centred retail operators.

What a shame that the site was not acquired by a local company when the potential arose.

Bumblebee said...

Here we go again..

Let's see if we can top the 800+ local objections against a Tesco that helped reject them at the last planning committee in Jan 2011.

Let's also see Tesco's in depth local questionnaire/justification study published too so it's available for us all to see - as was 300 local people's responses in the Tenbury Futures community survey week by week.

If they don't then all we'll ever have is a lame generic statement from Tesco saying some comment like "we think the town wants a Tesco". Such a claim will no doubt have no third party verification of the feedback or stats though.. If they don't publish such details though then maybe they've got something to hide [like in reality the town is completely split on the issue and the majority probably don't want to knacker up their highstreet with a jocking great superstore]?

@WR15 said...

Remember this isn't the X-Factor or Strictly. It's not a vote on whether you want Tesco or not. It is about planning permission. If Tesco have a valid plan, they get permission. If the majority of local people REALLY don't want it the store will close in 12 months.

All you are doing by getting people to object en masse is causing extra work for the MHDC planning department which means higher Council Tax for everyone in Tenbury. (But not you as you live in Shropshire)

One letter with a valid planning objection is worth far more than 800 letters from as far away as the Isle of Man which simple say I don't like Supermarkets.

And before all the armchair experts say Tesco will "knacker up the high street" take note of this:

Lincoln McMullan, chairman of Ellesmere Chamber of Commerce, said the effect of charges had been minimal and Tesco had helped bring people into the town.

Read more: http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2011/06/24/tesco-is-boosting-ellesmere-say-town-businesses/#ixzz1RvfCZKCg

Anonymous said...

Wr15, if you want to live somewhere large and overdeveloped there are plenty of options out there!

Bumblebee said...

To claim similarity between X Factor etc and 100's of Futures returns is a cheap trick WR15 and in reality won't undermine or impact on the rejection of a large supermarket that 100's of locals have already passionately expressed.

Additionally - suggesting that local people don't air their strongly-held views against Tesco because it might cost a council some admin time [!!] is a sure-fire way to galvanise objectors even more.

Times are indeed tight but it's still not just about hard cash as you seem to allude - it's about a raft of issues including future viability of the town's highstreet, it's unique character in still having a broad range of bespoke food shops and also existing easy access to supermarket foods anyway in both Tenbury and nearby Ludlow [to name but some].

Tesco Rejection
On top of MHDC's existing rejection of Tesco in Tenbury... I'll raise your Ellesmere ref with a counter ref to Hadleigh, a market town in Suffolk [pop 7,239]. They've just fought-off a Tesco store application. The Daily Mail article [link below] says:

"Campaigners say the victory is an important marker in the war against the 'Tesco-isation' of Britain - as the supermarket giant marches into the country's high streets, threatening to destroy traditional life by undercutting small shops and forcing them to close."

See more here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2012429/Trolley-wars-How-market-town-Hadleigh-saw-Tesco.html#ixzz1RePWazVK

@WR15 said...

So another protest group saying Tesco will damage a town. How about finding a report that says the coming of a small in town supermarket has damaged a town. Everyone I've visited or read about seems to indicate otherwise. Perhaps that is why the retail analyst reached the conclusion is wouldn't harm the towns vitality.

Ian said...

I think Tenbury's retailers should probably be more worried about the impact of several months of bridge closure than competition from an in-town small supermarket (even if it is called Tesco).

Bumblebee said...

Tenbury Cattle Market could reasonably be described as 'edge of town' as it borders the edge of the town and the adjacent settlement of Burford. It's certainly not 'town centre' though as that would place it roughly geographically where Bowkett's car park is.

I note that the New Economics Foundation [NEF] produced a report called Ghost Town Britain" in 2001 in which it found:

"a new edge- or out-of-town superstore in a market town or a district centre causes local speciality shops and convenience stores to loose 21-75% of their market share, forcing many to lay-off staff or close."

Additionally, the Govts own "High St Britain: 2015" report from 2006 concludes that the future for high st shops could be bleak [given continued aggressive expansion of supermarkets]. Especially hit were high st convenience stores and in particular small newsagents.

These reports aren't flights of fancy though and are formally published and reviewed documents by large entities.

I rather like our Tenbury newsagents as well as the great craft butchers, bakers and independent vegetable shop. The evidence above clearly suggests that the little shops of Tenbury let Tesco in at their peril though..

@WR15 said...

I would disagree that the Cattle Market is "edge of town". OK so it is physically behind the end of the High Street, but usually "edge of town" is used to describe locations with some degree of physical disconnect. I would describe the Swan Garage as "edge of town"
The Cattle Market is within the Town Curtilage and in the Conservation Area, so I say it's "in town"

I cannot see the Barn Shop customers deserting to Tesco, and it's generally accepted (even by Tesco) that their meat isn't as good as local butchers. Paper shop; harder one to call, but in every town I have visited with an in town supermarket, there is still a paper shop.

Bumblebee said...

The Cattle Market isn't in the town centre but it is within the town - albeit just. In fact it's clearly on the edge of the town geographically and also clearly on the edge of the town's conservation area [which was drawn especially around the perimeter of the old infirmary building so that it would be protected]..

Over the bridge, the Swan Garage's address online is "Burford" and it's clearly over the county boundary in Shropshire [a definition you were keen to point out in a previous comment] so technically wouldn't be described for planning purposes as 'Tenbury'.

So are you saying that having Tenbury's speciality shops and convenience stores loosing 21-75% of their market share is acceptable collateral damage then?

I suspect that there are a number of hard working local shop keepers that might want to disagree.

Ian said...

"I rather like our Tenbury newsagents . . ." - I reckon there are least four retailers in town competing to sell newspapers. Why would one more (Tesco) affect them overmuch?

@WR15 said...

I believe a site in Burford, if within 300 metres of Teme Street would be considered as "edge of town" under the PPS6.

I'm not sure how far the Swan Garage is from the Bridge Hotel, but I'm guessing it's less than 300 metres.

@WR15 said...

Having re-read sections of the District Local plan and the comments of the inspector, I'm a sure as I can be, the Cattle Market site is considered to be "in town" for the purposes of planning.

Anonymous said...

bumblebee does not know what he is talking about tenbury do not need you so move
maybe you will intimidate the people that support another store in the town

Anonymous said...

in town or edge of town ,it'll still cause the same prblems. u tell em bumble

@WR15 said...

It makes no difference to the people who don't want Tesco at any cost, but it does make a difference to both the impact and what planning regulations are applied.

Bumblebee said...

I think I said that the Cattle Market was in town - albeit just. The Central Marches Historic Towns survey map[s] show the consistent perimeter of Tenbury's 'Urban Area' in red outline - it stretches [just] over to the Shropshire side of the bridge but doesn't extend to the Swan Garage. Apart from the bridge element, the Cattle Market is on the very edge of the town's recorded urban area.

I'd like to hear more about this supposed 'intimidation' though.. Anonymous - maybe you could explain exactly how I personally have been intimidating? I'm assuming at this moment that you don't mean that me expressing an opinion is 'intimidating'..

Anonymous said...

bumblebee you are in parnership with spar i know people have been intimidated with the last application for being in favour so dont denied it
and that your tenbury futures survey was open to abused i e people who wanted a supermarket their forms were destroy so dont denied it bumblebee you are a con
so come clean with your actions

@WR15 said...

Please can I remind contributors that I cannot publish what appear to be articles or extracts from articles that may be covered by copyright unless fully attributed. I am happy to publish links to the articles. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I now see a problem with Futures' Plan B.

It fails to include a brick outline on the ground marking where the Tesco supermarket would have been.

Or maybe that would be patronising?

Anonymous said...

I LIKE IT :-)

Let them develop the site. That can only be good. The people of Tenbury can vote with their feet.

@WR15 - you seem to be taking a sensible approach to this.

Bumblebee - you seem to be against it at all odds no matter what. (And I would always take anything read in the Daily Mail with a pinch of salt.)

Bumblebee said...

Ok - just had chance to look at this discussion.. Some replies:

"bumblebee you are in parnership with spar"

- No I'm not. 1x Spar staff member is part of the 'Futures' group and I am too along with other concerned residents and local businesses - but it doesn't make me in some kind of partnership with them. We have crossovers in concerns about the cattle market but other than that have differing views on many things.

"i know people have been intimidated with the last application for being in favour so dont denied it"

- As I say, I'm in no contract with Spar - the way they promote alternate ideas for the site is entirely up to them. I guess I can sympathise to some extent though - if Tesco build next door then Spar stand to take a massive hit or even close.. I think [given this possibility] that any person or organisation in this situation might want to fight for it's existence..

"..and that your tenbury futures survey was open to abused i e people who wanted a supermarket their forms were destroy so dont denied it bumblebee you are a con
so come clean with your actions ."


- So with the Tenbury Futures Survey you're claiming that we destroyed the sheets of those that wanted a supermarket?

A. Show me [or tell everyone your evidence for this] - I'm sure we'll all be interested to hear your 'facts' supporting this claim.. Show me a pic or tell us the location of the bins[?] full of spoiled [pro Tesco] papers..

B. To my knowledge every single returned sheet was included in the feedback stats/graphs put online week by week [whether 'for' or 'against' supermarket devt]. Photocopies of each week's returns were then sent to members of the Town Council and Malvern Hills District Council to verify as third parties.. In other words - there was nothing to hide and if we were busy making things up [as you seem to infer] then why would we go to the lengths of sending facsimiles out to the various Councils?

Conclusion
I think the real issue [mr or mrs Anonymous] is that the Futures Survey returned an inconvenient truth - that of hundreds of local people wanting anything other than a large supermarket on the CM site and wanting instead a blended use to benefit the broader community.. It's clearly not a scenario that you personally want to hear or believe [but it's true]..

Anonymous said...

How can anybody call it a small supermarket ,its an absolute monster in terms of population and size of the town .
I like the idea of the brick outline of where the store would have been built :)

Anonymous said...

bumblebee you are in parnership with spar i know people have been intimidated with the last application for being in favour so dont denied it
and that your tenbury futures survey was open to abused i e people who wanted a supermarket their forms were destroy so dont denied it bumblebee you are a con
so come clean with your actions

Goodness me.... lets hope your not looking for a job in Tesco .If you are i would get Bumblebee to fill in your application form for you.

Anonymous said...

i told you tesco is coming

Anonymous said...

i tell u tesco aint coming

Anonymous said...

Someone needs to use spell check I think...

Anonymous said...

Plan B!
B is for Barking.

Mr. Longbeard said...

I see a problem with your problem regarding Tenburys futures plan b....

I have yet to see a credible way that the futures group are planning to buy the bricks to outline the missing store let alone the site.....

How many grant applications have been filed? Have you approached the owner to discuss a price?

Or is it all the smoke and mirrors? You may be running out of time, Tesco may get permission before you raise penny one.
Or is your plan to defeat the store and then let the CM sit unoccupied for another dozen years........

Anonymous said...

Plan B!
B is for Brilliant

Anonymous said...

Longbeard I see a problem with your problem regarding Tenbury Futures' problem.

It's not all about the moment. Like a good wine it's going to take time to mature.

Tesco's application will take months to process and go through the usual channels for public planning feedback before any decision is made at committee. This could give a good while for any groups or individuals to object and put into action any community-oriented plans.

Bumblebee said...

Whatever your perspective on Tenbury's highstreet/what it needs..

Maybe we should invite Mary Portas in? She'd hopefully take an experienced and impartial stance [and she's preparing content for a new series at this moment apparently so it's timely too]..

http://youtu.be/jxLs3x-q3Po

Ledbury Resident said...

Tenbury BEWARE!!!!

Tesco have been in Ledbury for some many years now and already this is not enough.

Tesco now want to build a massive out of town site which will destroy the town centre.

Do you want Tesco coming into your town and destroying something you love?

@WR15 said...

I think Harriett Baldwin MP has invited her, not sure if she has accepted yet.

Mr. Longbeard said...

Agreed Mr.anon it will take months.

But I would reckon it'd take years to get the millions of pounds needed to buy the site let alone develop it..... and that's if Mr Chase will even entertain the idea.

If nothing has been put in motion yet I fear you may have not only missed the boat but could quite possibly have left the town with a run down derelict eye sore for countless more years in in the name of nimbyism if you are successful.

Anonymous said...

Ledbury Resident, Much was made of Tesco destroying the high street when Tesco first came to Ledbury & as much as you obviously hate Tesco, they have been so popular they now want to move into larger premises. I drive through Ledbury quite often and the High Street seems to be thriving despite a very busy Tesco & a Coop.

Ledbury Resident said...

Yes anon. The key sentence there is you DRIVE through often.

I live here and I know the impact it has caused. The shops are not thriving. They have lost a lot of their business. So having a larger outer town Tesco will buckle them

Anonymous said...

OK I also stop. What I meant was I drive through the high street & can't recall seeing any empty shops, but do see lots of people shopping. (or perhaps they are all just window shopping on their way to Tesco)

Ledbury Resident said...

You obviously go when the major supermarkets are closed on a sunday then.

Anonymous said...

Mr Longbeard
Perhaps we could have a paintball shoot out on the CM site with the first two teams being TesNo v Yesco could this be organised please ? :)

Anonymous said...

Tesco's Limitless Expansion Plans
Ledbury, Tenbury and now I hear Leominster?

Are Tesco's becoming an uncontrollable entity? With it now accounting for every £1 in every £3 spent on groceries in the UK it's now entered the realms of the mega corporate..

In America the big corporations have massive sway on government decision-making. This is clearly happening here in the UK too (just look at the trouble the govt had trying to resist Murdoch until the recent n.o.t.w debarcle). But.. Shouldn't a government be of the people, by the people, for the people? Money and the persuit of money is clearly winning the day now though and it seems true democracy is slowly being consigned to a less profitable past.

Of the 100 largest economies in the world 51 of them are now corporations. Unfortunately the mega-corporation that is now Tesco isn't in the democratic game though. You only have to look at verylittlehelps.com - the website set up by Tesco's own staff to complain about their working conditions (see below) to see their merciless top-down working methods.

http://www.verylittlehelps.com/

Mr. Longbeard said...

Oh now that's Tue best idea for the site yet.:)
I shall be ramping to 30bps @ 300fps using winter paint :)

Anonymous said...

Yea i'm all for a paintball shootout. Is anywhere on the body fair game?

Anonymous said...

You will need all he armoury you can find because when the Bumblebee stings you it will be game over :(

Rugby fan 72 said...

Without seeing mnore details of the "new plan" it may seem a bit premature of me for saying it would appear that not much has changed: Access issues, SSSI, conservation area,flood defences, lack of parking: The only alteration to "The Indistrial Green house" proposes is the "glazed panels in the lobby area will feature detailing by a local artist influenced by the Orchards & Hop Gardens"

Which i dismiss as "Window dressing" at best....

Ian said...

So Tenbury Futures now wants people could buy shares in a ‘community interest company’. Another preposterous, crackpot, idea. Does this organisation, which as far as I can tell has no legal identity, really believe that in these straightened times the people of Tenbury are going to invest their precious cash in its half-baked ideas? All this simply confirms my view that Tenbury Futures has more to do with Thurber’s Walter Mitty than hard-headed reality.

Anonymous said...

In response to Ian.
A CIC is a common way to raise funds for community projects.
It's not pie in the sky; ordinary small towns like Tenbury have used CIC's for very similar projects.
Look for example at what Settle in Cumbria have done with their community hydro project - that's real life, not fantasy. Plenty on the internet for you to check out.
Perhaps you might like to counter with a real-life CIC that has failed?
Or are you saying that Tenbury has poverty that does not exist in Yorkshire? If so, please provide your evidence.
Please, do not patronise the people of this town by suggesting they are poor or that they should not want their way of life ruined.
We are not all a rollover.

Ian said...

I think you may be referring to Settle in YORKSHIRE – a scheme that was income-generating. Average family income in Settle (in YORKSHIRE) is said to be medium whereas in Tenbury Wells it is said to be between very low and medium (http://www.upmystreet.com/local/caci.html). But that’s not really the point is it? Even the poorest will give to a project that provides value for money and a definite revenue stream. The Tenbury Futures plan provides neither. I’m not patronising anyone but nor do I think anyone’s life is going to be “ruined” by a new supermarket!

Mr. Longbeard said...

So how much does the CIC need to raise through shares, how much will be raised through charitable donations, how much government grant money is available and how much will the lottery fund chip in?

We're a fair way down the road now so some ball park figures should be available, no?

Rugby fan 72 said...

Mr Londbeard....loose the hate and enhance the love....why the agression, Futures are a bunch of concerned people who want the best for the town, and wanting the best is not always easy, be constructive not immotive in your arguments? As for funding, you seem to be an expert...how much do you estimate the site being worth if Mr T gets refused?

NO ONE has done anything with this site for approx 12 years, surely if a scheme which benefits the entire community can be done, with Tesco as a catalyst then it can wait a little longer....rather than having everyones arms twisted with the frankly ludicrous argument of the "the only option is Tesco" or AN Other. We need to treat the site as one unique to the town and one which should be treated accordingly - if the supporters of this dreaded scheme and all the bluff and bluster from them is to be believed Tesco will build a "monster store" instead of this "large one" on the old show ground - or somewhere else anyway (not withstanding the obvious failings in that argument..population versus retail floor space required).

What will you be after next for Tenbury, KFC, McDs...if you want these there are plenty of "stereo type, bland towns" for you to choose from....

Ian said...

Tenbury Futures describes itself as ‘Proactive Alliance of Concerned Local Residents and Businesses from the Tenbury Area’. However, I cannot recall ever having had the benefit of knowing the identity of a single member (resident or business). Does anyone else know?

Dr. Miles Weaver said...

I would not even bother engaging with an exchange with Mr Anomalous. He or she may be sat in Tesco head office. They do employ people to scour the social media sites.

Plan B is an alternative; listen; engage then act NOT attack.

I am impressed that Tenbury is coming together as a community to fight a corporation.

Tenbury is unique so we must find ways to ensure the town is distinct.

Perhaps an argument we could all get behind is that the cattle market should be for a community-centric and supports social enterprise, local supply chain jobs and ensures Tenbury can continue with its Mistletoe markets etc.,

Even put the 'market' back into the Tenbury 'Town' and not 'market forces. Let's all get behind 'community force' and force Tesco to think again about 1) Tenbury 2) the site in the area.

Stand up and be account Mr Anomalous otherwise your views do not count. However, both sites are required for a dialogue, be counted, not intimidating yourself.

Dr. Miles Weaver said...

Ian - I hope to attend thier next meeting.

I grew up in Tenbury, it is my home and one day I hope to raise my family in the town.

Make Tenbury distinct, not EXTINCT!

Mr. Longbeard said...

Rugby fan, you appear to be attributing emotion where there is none, or none intended at least.

I just want to know where things stand, if I'm approached in town and asked to contribute I'd like to know the odds of success before placing my bet, at present they appear slim.

The futures group have done a great job of galvanising support against Tesco, but without follow through it is for nought, if I was asked for a fiver tomorrow I'd have to refuse as I haven't seen any credible plan to acquire the site and there might only be 'months' left.....

And as for McDonald's or kfc, god no, the town has more than enough fast food retailers as it is.

Bumblebee said...

I see Tesco have scored another home goal - this time in Evesham - home of British Asparagus production.

The May Daily Mail article [link below] explains how US subsidised cheap asparagus has been flown an unsustainable 6000 miles by air freight to be on the shelves at Evesham Tesco [at the time of the article in the height of the British asparagus-growing season]. Locals are threatening to boycott the store and demanding that local asparagus be stocked.

If Tesco win out in Tenbury then maybe we should expect Tenbury apples to be stocked - they're local produce after all from round the corner.. It seems a simple scheme.. Unfortunately this won't be the case though with Tesco's unique definition of 'local food'..

In reality they would be taken to a UK port and then shipped to Eastern Europe to be cleaned and packed - eventually entering the UK supply chain at Coventry. From there they'd go for storage at Avonmouth - Tesco's huge storage/distribution hub. They'd then travel the final 80 miles back to source [on top of their round trip of thousands of miles].

Only then would a Tenbury Apple get to sit on a Tenbury Tesco's shelf.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1277180/Tesco-selling-asparagus-Peru--town-famous-producing-vegetable.html

Rugby fan 72 said...

And Ian, who might you be?

Ian said...

Thank you Dr Weaver. I would guess from what you’ve said that although you may have been born in Tenbury you no longer live here – but probably in Birmingham (you seem, after all, to be a member of the Ladywood Constituency Labour Party). So you don’t appear to fulfil Tenbury Futures definition of a ‘Concerned Local Resident’. I am sure that most of your university research work is evidence-based. Is your claim that ‘Tenbury is coming together as a community to fight a corporation’ evidence-based. If so, where is the evidence? And perhaps you should have told us that you are a strong supporter of the Co-operative movement and so, by instinct, probably hostile to ‘corporations’ like Tesco.

Anonymous said...

PLAN B TENBURY FUTURES
WHAT A CRACKPOT IDEA
are u on planet earth or on medication
this idea will end up not being a people plan it will become a cartel with spar and bowketts buying the shares keeping tesco out and keeping prices in tenbury skyhigh

Anonymous said...

rugby fan if tenbuty futures get their way tenbury will be extinct
rugby fan we know you have a interest in stopping tesco but u are not going to win tesco will be here and tenbury will become a busy town full of shoppers once again if you dont like it go (might be a good thing if you did)

Ian said...

'And Ian, who might you be?' - well, I'm not claiming to represent anyone but me.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous - you keep trilling on about "if you don't like it then go..". You sound like a stuck record - it seems to be your stock phrase. Is that because it's revealing that you've got nothing significant to actually add to this discussion? I worry you're out of your depth and you just keep reverting to something you feel comfortable with (telling people that they're not welcome in the town if they disagree with you).. It's all very predictable - why don't you take up something more productive like knitting maybe?

I can see your answer now - don't tell me... "If u don't like it then you should leave" - yawn.

Dr. Miles Weaver said...

Did my response to Ian show up?

@WR15 said...

Sorry if moderation is slow this weekend. I'm working from a smartphone in a data desert.

Anonymous said...

The opposition to Tesco is obvious however i am curious to know if another supermarket chain had a go would the level of opposition be as great? The subject doesn't appear to have been visited.
Mc Donalds drive thro anyone????

Anonymous said...

I think the opposition to any supermarket would be the same Tesco, Asda,Morrison ,etc etc
Its like saying what do you want to get eaten by a lion or a crocodile.

Mr. Longbeard said...

Lion please, you'd have to be nuts to pick the croc..

Bumblebee said...

One of the preceived tourist draws to Tenbury is it's unique cross section of highstreet shops remaining. In fact the Chamber of Trade ran an advert in local papers etc capitalising on this idea entitled "Shopping as it used to be" so it's clearly an acknowledged 'selling point' of the town.

Many of these are quality independent food shops - craft bakers, butchers etc.. While I don't think we owe them an existence as such - I do wonder if we should try whenever possible to celebrate and nurture the unique-ness of them all.

I used to think a smaller version of what is being proposed by Tesco might not upset this situation too much.. After further mulling though I now wonder if a supermarket of the size Tesco plan would be hugely detrimental to both the existing bespoke high st food shops as well as Tenbury's wider tourist draw - a double whammy..

@WR15 said...

We like the super, market, town we already have. We are not anti Tesco - but at this time it is the Tesco superstore proposal which we are fighting and therefore our campaign is directed against Tesco. Ledbury is a beautiful town that values its thriving heritage and amazing independent shopping which draws people in from surrounding counties and beyond.
Extract from the saveledbury website.

Bumblebee said...

I guess it depends on who's being quoted? 'Ledbury Resident' comments earlier in the same thread about Tesco's affect on the town:

[Snipped from a couple of comments on the same theme]

"Tenbury BEWARE!!!!... I live here [Ledbury] and I know the impact it [Tesco] has caused. The shops are not thriving. They have lost a lot of their business... Do you want Tesco coming into your town and destroying something you love?"

@WR15 said...

Quite agree, but I would hope the people who are running the anti Tesco "saveledbury" website would have a good idea about the current situation. i.e. They have amazing independent shopping (which hasn't all been forced out of town by the existence of an in town Tesco)

Lesley said...

The situation for Ledbury is somewhat different. For Tenbury, it has the prospect of a supermarket or a run down half derelict site remaining, to the town's detriment, for an indeterminate period of time. Whilst the prospect of planning being granted for food retail on that site remains, little else, if anything, is going to be economically/commercially viable.

I think planning permission is ultimately likely to be granted (that is not to say I agree with that outcome, just my opinion on the likelihood). MH will simply (rightly) eek out the process to get the best possible design/solution for the site given all the challenges, with Tesco only pulling out if they really can't make it work (or they reach the limits of what they are prepared to spend). I do not believe there are sufficient objectors to scupper the proposed development in principle. There are numerous vocal objectors but there are lots of supporters too.

In an ideal world, I would love to see a mixed development on the site with some lovely independent shops, perhaps a market, riverside gardens, a cafe/restaurant etc. etc. but, do I think that grant funding and such should fund an over-inflated price for the site that would make such a project non viable economically? No, as I think there are far more deserving causes.

The only hope for an alternative, I feel, will come after the planning process has been exhausted and IF Tesco loses or pulls out. Only then will the value of the site come down sufficiently to offer viable alternatives. Therefore, I feel attention is best concentrated on valid objections to the development proposed, each time a fresh application is made - many of the letters of objection sent to MH last time were a long way from this.

I have been out of the country for the last 4 months but return home to Tenbury next month, and look forward to constructive debate on this issue when I get back.

My opinion only of course, with respect to others.

Ian said...

Another welcome contribution from Lesley - common sense as always.

Anonymous said...

The design, massing and site layout of the proposed store does not make a
positive contribution to the character and local distinctiveness of the Tenbury
Wells Conservation Area, and would result in the demolition of a building of local
interest in the conservation area, contrary to Policy HE7.5 of PPS5, Policy
CTC19 of the Worcestershire County Structure Plan and Policies QL7 and QL8
of the Malvern Hills District Local Plan

One of the reasons why the last application failed .MHDC surely cannot do a U turn on Tesco third attempt on closing the high street.

Dr. Miles Weaver said...

Ian,

It is interesting that I have provided my full name and you have not. Yet, you have researched both my political and academic CV.

Yes, my academic interests are 'corporate strategy'; 'SCM' and 'Greening'. You obviously did not read the IJPE article on the impact of offshoring/localism. So yes, plenty to debate?

As for the definition of a 'concerned local resident' - Yes. You may have researched me but obviously not well enough.

As I stated in my speech as the guest of honour at Tenbury High School a few days ago.

* Tenbury is where the heart is, this is happiness for me
* Tenbury is where all my family were raised and still live (my aunt prob serves your paper?)
* As my mum would tell you; I will not be away for long.

There is also a fourth reason: A very important one for me. My grandfather fought Tesco many times. This is the evidence-based bit. In the 60s the community came together, now we have a wonderful swimming pool. My grandfather was awarded an MBE, along with others efforts to raise the funds as one community to achieve this aim. He is also, one of only 2 honary alderman of Tenbury - he understood what 'community' meant and was awarded for it.

It is in my grandfather honour, that I shall place my name, evidence and support for AN ALTERNATIVE. This does not mean I am anti-Tesco.

It is simply, Tenbury is a remarkable place, a place I miss everyday and one I visit as many weekends I can. It is home, that is that. Sorry, you have hit a nerve here, as you not only NOT supply your name, you attack those whom have an interest in the future of the town and not a corporations PROFIT!

Tenbury needs to redefine itself as MARKET that is a proud and SUPER town, and not the words mixed up.

Tenbury is SUPER not a Tesco!

So a discussion is taking place, a dialogue. Join it.

If strong community organisers can raise the funding for a swimming pool; then likeminded community people can find a solution for ALL the community.

What are the aims?

1) Lower prices
2) Greater choice
3) Distinctiveness to draw people in
4) Maintains Tenbury traditions (e.g Mistletoe mkt)
5) Supports LOCAL produce and JOBS
6) Supports social enterprise and stimulation of the local economy
7) Involves the whole community (e.g. School, businesses, suppliers)

If we were to agree on some tests. Would Tesco meet them for the proposed site? Tesco might meet our aspirations for a different site, but this is a separate issue.

If Tesco does not meet the 'community tests' whatever they are then lets talk.

If an alternative like the one placed is a better option, then lets debate further, engage in it, support it and when we have the answers make it happen.

Tesco to me only offers value and choice. But to me Tenbury produce is my first choice, Tenbury jobs is what I want us to support; Tenbury businesses to be incubated, nurtured and grow; Tenbury community, faith groups and citizens to play an active role; Quality products that you know where they have come from.

We are still on the 'why' question. Go to the 'Tenbury future' meeting on Wednesday. I shall try and make it back from Leicester if I can.

Then lets move to the 'how'.

People interested in thier community, do not attack those around them. Critique and dialogue is important but frankly some peoples view have been kept back due to the 'bullying nature' of some comments in various forms. It is not acceptable.

Tenbury is about people; connected as one community. Lets act as one.

This is what I read as my conclusion at Tenbury High School last week:

Orchards gay with blossom,
Beauty, there to see,
Hollows where breeze is tender,
Moorlands where wind breaks free;
Sowing, Lambing, and Harvest,
Overlooked by Giant Clee,
Hop Kilns, Farmsteads, and TENBURY,
This is happiness for me;

Behind this lays an answer; it does not mention corporate greed or profit. It encapsulates nature and people - this is Plan 'B'.

Anonymous said...

tesco will be coming.talk about the bridge closure if tenbury shop keepers ad anythink about them they would be open day and night to make there money.

Anonymous said...

people who complain about tesco there the ones who go to morrisons leominster one was full with people from tenbury last saturday.

Anonymous said...

Tesco have caused all kinds of problems in Whitchurch, Shropshire according to the Shropshire Star. They're trying to build out of town but have a serviceable store in town (with extra land for them to expand adjacent to it if needed) similar in some respects to Ledbury. Not wanting to damage their town any further (Bill Smith, former chair of the town's regeneration forum, said that Tesco had already "destroyed" the town centre there) the town is now protesting out of town Tesco expansion. It's clear Tesco don't want to listen to the community there though now they've 'destroyed' the town centre. Instead they just want to keep chasing the cash and not have to compromise their ruthless expansion plans.

Anonymous said...

Morrisons in leominstr and Tesco in ludlow is easy to get to and shop - why wouldt we shop there? It is quick an easy to do so - we dont ned a store in Tenbury.

@WR15 said...

I have published the comment above, (about Whitchurch) but I think it might be out of date. I haven't been able to verify the quoted comments, but they do seem to differ somewhat to other official comments that I have been able to verify.

Ian said...

"Morrisons in leominstr and Tesco in ludlow is easy to get to and shop - why wouldt we shop there?" - IF you have a car and IF you are willing to drive 20 miles.

Anonymous said...

Ian then y dont u order online from Tesco? Its only £3 or less on top of ur shop ,u dont evene need to leave yor armchair an u can av it sent to ur door. Quick n easy

Ian said...

Yes, I agree. And I do do some shopping on-line but there are a lot of people who do not have access to either a car or a computer and who wish to shop in person and locally. I agree they have some choice at the moment but I'm not opposed to having more!

Anonymous said...

i totally agree with you ian we have a ageing population who do not have the internet or drive
at least getting tesco here it would give more value for money
and better disable access

Anonymous said...

What does "my aunt prob serves your paper" mean?

Anonymous said...

cant do nything about a car but age concrn do internt courses 4 seniors + the libray has free internet 4 all

Anonymous said...

I agree. My parents don't have a car or computer. They value their independence, but with the exception of special offers, the cost of shopping in town is higher than when I take them to Tesco.

Lesley said...

I do wish that people would not be entirely anonymous, as it is very difficult to address comments specifically. You don't have to reveal yourselves completely, just a first name would do.

Anyway, to one of the anonymous commentators, I personally think that online food shopping is the worst thing for places like Tenbury. I think that many local people are like me - I shop at various supermarkets (depending on where we are for work that day - to reduce petrol and travelling) to stock up on non perishables - like pasta, rice tins, toilet rolls, washing powder etc. where quality s the same everywhere. I can shove all this in the boot and do not have to worry about getting them back to the fridge immediately. We only need to do this occassionally, maybe twice a month or less. I then buy perishables like meat, cheese, bread, local products like cider and fruit and veg, together with anything we run out of in Tenbury.

When people shop online, I think there is more temptation, especially with our busy lives thesedays, to do it weekly and just order the whole lot online and be done with it. It's the same if I go specifically to Leominster or Ludlow to do food shopping. I will come home with much less to buy locally, as I am going specifically to food shop and will be coming straight home to the fridge/freezer, and so will be more inclined to get non perishables that I would otherwise buy locally.

So, it isn't as easy as "do all your shopping online".

Respectfully.

Anonymous said...

i find when i do my online shopping i spend less than when i go to the store in person .i get tempted into buying thinks that i do not really want or need which in the end goes in the bin .

@WR15 said...

"i put a comment up about whitchurch - can we see it please?"

I have delayed publishing this post to check the quotes.

As you are obviously copying from another publication, but not quoting the source this is taking some time.

Also, I'm not convinced that what you are asking to be published has much relevance to Tenbury, especially as you don't seem to be quoting an up to date article on the situation in Whitchurch.

Rugby fan 72 said...

So Ian, "there are a lot of people who do not have access to either a car or a computer" A some what crass statement, all have access to the library, which someone else has pointed out has free access for all. Some do not want to go near a computer (my mother), others have family who, according to another of the posts, are happy to take those without a car or access to a PC to one fo the out of Tenbury stores, others are more than happy, and may even be drawn to Tenbury because of the "unique High St"....so out of the entire population of Burford/Tenbury i would be interested to know what you consider a lot......

Rugby fan 72 said...

"Better disabled access"..... I can't remember seeing steps in either Bowkett's or Spar, and if you ask at each shop someone will assist you, not just the carry to car service but with your trolley and or basket....it is called a personal service....

Lesley said...

Anon (which anon I don't know!), yes you might spend less because no in store impulse buys are there before you, but my point is that I bet you buy everything you need in one go, or at least there is a temptation to do so. This leaves nothing for local traders.

Anonymous said...

Interesting letter from a resident from Market Drayton in the Shropshire Star tonight "arrongant experts" seem to know it all ,could this be said of the so called experts looking at the Tenbury Tesco scenario.

Ian said...

"Free access at the Library". This really does make me cross! Free for whom? Nothing is free. It's not free - it's just paid for by someone other than the end user.

Bumblebee said...

Hi Lesley - I think I fall just outside of your last comment on online shopping..

I do occasionally shop online at one or more of the big supermarkets as it's so quick and easy to do [as I also do in person sometimes]. But I always try to balance up my spend with them and the local shops where possible. I like the expedience of online shopping and the fact that you won't get drawn in to buying associated items like you do when you're wandering down an aisle.

What I do try and do though is to purchase meats, veg, milk [and sometimes bread] locally. I tend to find on balance that the quality of these items is better locally.. I guess I'm thinking: Bowketts or Clockhouse etc for meats, Barn Farm shop for veg and local Mawley Milk and sometimes Swift's for decent fresh bread..

I'd guess I'm not the only one who tries to balance their weekly spend like this..

Ian said...

" So Ian, out of the entire population of Burford/Tenbury i would be interested to know what you consider a lot......" . . . haven't a clue to be perfectly honest but I would guess far more than filled in forms counted by Tenbury Futures.

Anonymous said...

rugby fan are u a member of a retail family in tenbury hence u got a interest in your inheritance

Anonymous said...

Anonymous - who are setting themselves up as 'experts' on the Tenbury Tesco scenario? I see a lot of people with different views both for and against Tesco and some that have tried to evidence their concerns with links and refs. But I don't see anyone claiming to be an 'expert' on planning issues as such.

Miles Weaver said...

Lesley talks alot of sense.

I do thinks backward as it is true to say have a Tesco opposite where I live (does not mean I use it much!).

Supermarkets are for bulky items. The open market in the city is where I get my local produce.

However, when I come to Tenbury (very often) - there is something I can always expect:

Open my mum fridge and Bowkett sausages (many packs) and real ham is awaiting my collection! If I am not satisfied I make sure I pick up more.

Can you believe that the only butchers in the city centre are in the indoor markets? All the others have closed - why?

If a city centre the size of Birmingham has no butchers and if you want bread, basically you have Greggs.

Then what does this mean for the Food Hall and Swifts?

What would you rather have a local butcher and bakery? or warmed up bread and shipped in meat from the cheapest source (probably not the UK).

Another personal mentioned something very important too: Service!

If you want something in Tenbury you can get it; albeit a little more expensive but you get what you pay for and you probably know the person who sold it too you.

I never forget my brother asking Mrs Robinson to install his flat screen tele. Now her son is my brothers best friend. She told him not only would you have had free installation, the same TV was cheaper in Robinson's. It did not go down very well and my brother paid her to install it (and she made him on this occasion).

Tenbury matters; keep traditions and move with the times. However, there are so many towns currently battling supermarkets and many that have regretted it. Do we have to be part of the norm? Just so that a bag of sugar is a few pence cheaper.

Mr. Longbeard said...

Comparing city centres against small towns is hardly like for like, I’m tempted to use the oft quoted ‘apples and oranges’ comparison line, but it’d be a tad clich├ęd for this subject I feel.

CC’s were decimated decades ago with the introduction of large out of town retail centres which normally included a bloody large supermarket or two, since then they have focussed on non food shopping with both large retailers and small independent stores to keep shoppers coming in spending their money.

Although anecdotally Leicester city centre has one of the best fish markets outside of a sea side town, butchers aplenty and the largest covered outdoor fresh produce market within Europe, maybe Birmingham just got is wrong to a greater extent.

And as sentimentality is being used I shall introduce some of my own as a counter, I lived 10 minutes outside of Leicester CC (Leicester Forest East) we retained most of our small independent local stores even after the out of town shopping centres were opened.
My parents live in the largest village in the country (it was last time I checked), it is approx a 15 minute drive to Leicester CC for them, 10 minute drive to the nearest Asda mega superstore, yet they too retain many many local shops and if they wish could choose not to leave the village boundaries and still dine on some most excellent local produce.

What does this prove? Nothing of course, for every argument against or for there will most often be a suitable argument against that. Anecdotal evidence isn’t worth the pixels on the screen.
Times move on, tradition is good, as is community, but we can not live in the past.

I’ll now just wait a while for the inevitable “if you don’t like it move back to Leicester comments” I’m expecting at least 3..

Anonymous said...

Can you believe that the only butchers in the city centre are in the indoor markets? All the others have closed - why?

I suspect if you ask your students most will say that they don't know how to shop in a butchers. It's a lost art. They prefer pre-packed meat. They can see what they are getting and how much it's going to cost.

When we first moved to Tenbury we hadn't shopped at a Butchers in years. This obviously showed. I guess the butcher thought we were tourist & stitched us up with some rank old meat. Needless to say we never went back.

We now buy meat at Bowketts, it's good quality & a lot is prepacked so you get the best of both worlds.

I prefer Greggs and dislike Swifts. A recent survey amongst "the youth" showed the shop they most wanted to come to Tenbury was Greggs.

It's all about choice. You have the choice to shop at Tesco. Why are you so scared for Tenbury to have that choice.

Tenbury Futures said...

I'm hearing you there Longbeard - interesting ref regards Leicestaar. I too am familiar with that area albeit a bit further north up the Great Central Railway.

I must admit that the default comment "If you don't like it then move away" seems to be the standard phrase thrown at anyone who admits to not having lived in the town for generations.

As WR15 pointed out though in a semi-recent blog post, if it wasn't for individuals moving to the town it wouldn't have the make-up it does now. I think WR15 mentioned (among others) the Chinese Takeaway, Indian Restaurants, publicans from out of the area etc. I would say that in general my observation would be that individuals and small businesses that have come in have added to the variety that is now the town (naturally I wouldn't apply the same logic to the influx of a large supermarket though - different kettle of fish)..

I'm waiting for the "if you don't like then move" comment now too..

Anonymous said...

the chinese take away was here befor you bumblebee i think about 40 years they are part of tenbury tesco will become part of tenbury
accept it bumblebee Tenbury has got to go with the times if not it will die a slow death take a look at the old dvd of the 60s and 70s tenbury is nothing now to what it was then all down to people like you holding it back from change.

Anonymous said...

Why are you still here then?

Tenbury Futures said...

The Nature of The Beast in Tenbury

Tesco's are keen to expand wherever they can get a toehold - Leominster, Ledbury and now they're trying in Tenbury (again). But while trying to secure their market share in Dundee they have muddied their name with their aggressive and heavy-handed tactics with the local council there.

It gave planning permission to a £24 million Asda plan to put a large store on a local defunct factory site. Tesco of course felt upstaged only having a smaller store in the town. So it used it's highly-paid legal heavies to take the council to court on numerous occasions against the decision (..but lost them all).

All in all Tesco had their legal heavies take 8 other local authorities to court in May 2011 as they didn't like to be on the losing side - causing huge costs that local taxpayers had to fund. In Dundee alone it's already cost the local Council £150,000.

Stella Carrington, Chair of the West Dundee Communities Association explains in the Channel 4 article (link below) how angry the local community is with Tesco.

"We look on Tescos as a big bully with no concern for the community... All they are concerned about is the money dropping into their tills. They are holding this whole part of Dundee to ransom."

We suggest that you don't let this 'big bully' into Tenbury. Let's concentrate instead on a solution that benefits the whole community (instead of lining the pockets of the fat cat execs at Tesco head office in Cheshunt, Herts) on the Cattle Market site..

Link: http://www.channel4.com/news/supermarkets-set-to-expand-20-percent-by-2014

@WR15 said...

This is why it is important to make planning decisions only on planning grounds and not on who is applying. If you decide that Tesco should not get permission because they are Tesco, they will appeal & win.

Lesley said...

WR15 - precisely my point - well somewhere in my posts above! that all effort must be to object to planning permission being granted if it isn't appropriate. That is valid objections with a legal basis to them and not the "I come to the town occasionally and I don't want to see a supermarket as I like the local shops".

I do think there is an element of snobbery in all this. If this were Waitrose proposing this development, I think quite a lot of the current objectors would be supporting and some of the supporters would be dissenting. Each household is affected differently and pleasing everyone is virtually impossible.

Tenbury Futures - nothing is economically viable whilst there is the prospect of a supermarket development being allowed on the site. This may be a shame but it is a fact, so I think the only option currently is to do as above re the application.

Miles Weaver said...

Interesting points Mr Beard.

I am in Leicester tomorrow. Bham also has a good fish market. Just like in Tenbury people can travel ten minutes to a supermarket and enjoy a 'market town'.

Tradition and refounding Tenbury is interesting.

We are talking about choice and price.

The problem is Tenbury is no longer a real market town, this died years ago. Why, one factor is that supermarkets offered choice and value.

However, a real 'market' is becoming popular again as consumer look for local produce, at low cost and the highest quality.

Why be one of the last to conform to the 'supermarket town norm' when we will never be able to redefine the town for this century, without the need for a supermarket.

The cattle market presents an opportunity to get a Tenbury solution that addresses a multitude of needs.

The most fundamental question has not be answered. What does Tenbury need to redefine itself as a unique market town in the future?

If the answer to that is Tesco, then so be it. But I very much doubt it is. Without answering this question and after a Tesco arrives - can we go back and answer this question?

Miles Weaver said...

A fascinating post by 'Anonymous'.

Choice - Tesco? Supply brands (yep get those in Tenbury) and lower cost items (used to but supermarkets do the choice, the independents just close).

If you follow my original argument that is years old. Tenbury needs to be a 'market' town once again. A market offers choice and price. It also delivers local produce (on the whole) and true local jobs and supports enterprise.

Now the traditional market died, probably due to the rise in supermarkets. But now we have a different breed of 'market'.

Plan 'B' includes a market; a social space; opportunities for new local businesses and community areas.

The only thing I would add to the plan is an allotment. Get the school kids growing their own food, as a social enterprise and sell this on the site. Involve all the community.

I have also been studying the CSR practices of Tesco - these are to be desired.

Choice is key to this - Tesco does not deliver the whole answer on this.

Yesco said...

Mr Miles

I'm not sure Tenbury is ready to welcome back a market. The farmers market moved away because of lack of trade. Various market traders have tried trading on a Tuesday near the Round Market, but again most find that there is insufficient trade.

I'm not sure how an allotment on the Cattle Market site would work. Apart from the obvious security and potential pollution aspects, unless the school brought the children to the site by bus, there would be insufficient time in the curriculum. Certainly they would not produce enough to sell! I thought you working in Education, sounds more like cloud cuckoo land.

I'm beginning to wonder if you are serious with some of your suggestions or pulling our collective legs! Are you one of these people who have only worked in the sheltered life of education, or have you had a real job. The Plan B "business plans" are just not financially realistic.

The main argument in favour of Tesco that I hear is about price and value lines. I know people have done selective test shops, but if you are living on a limited budget, shopping at Tesco will be cheaper than Bowketts. If you have limited mobility shopping at Tesco will be easier than Spar. If you are shopping with Children, shopping at Tesco will be easier than trying to push the trolley and accompanying children across the road and into the Royal Oak Car Park.

Why are the objectors so afraid to allow the people of Tenbury the choice to shop at a local Tesco. They can still shop at Bowketts if they wish.

Miles Weaver said...

Yesco,

Education taught me not to attack and value everyone opinions.

I have worked mainly at Tenbury Pool and stints at Kerry's, HP Mouldings, a pub in Tenbury and oh yeah I packed backs once in Bowketts.

All fantastic Tenbury places.

As for the random idea. Tenbury used to have an 'allotment' by the Church. There is a national campaign called 'landshare' and in our cities there are so many in every ward to choose from.

I agree with your comments about the market. It is a shame perhaps a reality. However, the 'market' is having a revival in urban areas and our more historical market towns like Ludlow make it an attraction.

I have been trying to address this question. But I keep coming back to the point of trade out of town and the rise of the supermarket. So I cannot win this argument. Except to say that it was 'supermarkets' that started this trend so just allowing one in just makes the matter worse. Why let a corporation take control?

Anyway, I wait to be be convinced of a supermarket benefiting the town. You can keep trying, I see some benefits.

My interest is in the cattle market being a central site for the community. This is the wrong place for a Tesco, end of.

Miles Weaver said...

Yesco,

I did not get your point about pollution and the curriculum. Seem a little odd.

Social action projects can be supported by the community - I am not saying as you suggest get the students to drop everything. They could have social enterprise projects outside of school hours. Involving school kids was only one idea.

The other interesting thing on this site. Is if you supply your name - you get attacked. Thanks to Ian your CV gets 'googled'.

Please enter a sensible debate, discuss, listen NOT judge.

ideas are ideas. Tenbury comes first not our pockets.

Miles Weaver said...

Yesco,

Price and value is at the core of the argument.

However, Tenbury 'jobs' underpin this.

Tesco may provide jobs in it stores. But where do the apples, cider, cakes, bread, potatoes etc., come from?

Well I hope the surrounding areas of Tenbury?

Did you not see the previous post on Peru asparagus being sold in Pershore Tesco. There are a wealth of examples of this.

So before you wish to view a range of products and use your hard earned cash. You need to have earnt it!

If your in education like me or another service industry, then fine. However, my dad who sorts fruit and makes jam at Kerry's may have a different story? People like my dad also worry me.

Tenbury produce; Tenbury jobs = true value (both social and economic) + quality

Advertiser story said...

On this blog, Miles Weaver wrote: "I visit as many weekends I can"

In April, the Tenbury Advertiser wrote: "Miles Weaver, who lives in Tenbury but lectures at De Montfort University in Leicester"

Does the Advertiser ever check facts before publishing stories?

Anonymous said...

Let them build a Tesco, if surport for local shops is so strong then Tesco will be out of biz within a year?

What would be better a store in town that people would take advantage of the parking and pop into town for a look round vist post office ect or one out of town luring every one out of Tenbury maybe even expanding to a petrol station as well???

Anonymous said...

"Does the Advertiser ever check facts before publishing stories?"

Don't be silly Advertiser Story... They don't always check - have you not seen the news lately? I really really can't believe anyone would believe and rely on EVERYTHING that is printed. I could write a story on the errors in news print.
However if you are getting at Miles not living in town means he shouldn't have an opinion on what happens here is unfair. I am sure he visits his family and he cares about his roots and family and so is entitled. Unless of course I have mis-interpreted your comment.

Anonymous said...

Of course Miles is welcome to comment here and have an opinion, but shouldn't confuse opinion with fact, or sentiment with reality.

Anonymous said...

Let's all be robots then - fact is fact but it's not always what is seems to be. You cannot live life without feeling or sentiment if you can then I feel sorry for you and you have my deepest sympathies (not that you will understand) and will no longer make any comments because the FACT is it will pointless -won't it?

Advertiser wrong again said...

I have no problem over Miles living near his job - many people have to live near work, rather than where they'd like to live. No criticism of Miles was intended.
It's the Advertiser I'm worried about: they should check facts before they write a story.

Mr. Longbeard said...

Have cake AND eat it.
Live in Tenbury and work in brum or leicester.

Anonymous said...

Mr Beard

"Have cake AND eat it.
Live in Tenbury and work in brum or leicester"

What is the point of having cake if you can't eat it? or do you mean something else? sounds like a waste of cake to me.

Miles Weaver said...

Miles is one of the only persons to state his name!

I like I said Tenbury is my home and I look forward to the day I can move back.

Interestingly my mum, also a former councillor is in favour of a Tesco! I take her on two!

Miles Weaver said...

As for fact, please point the exact reference you mean. As an academic I take it personally when a person suggests I lack evidence.

I have a wealth of evidence. Read the studies, follow the newspapers and the public anger in most towns with a similar problem.

In addition, I have spent most of my life in Tenbury - watched it grow and decline. I have neither moved into the town, merely raised in the town - sorry about that.

Miles Weaver said...

Thanks. I work in Leicester and studied in Birmingham.

Anyone who knows me, respects that it is not a choice. Like I said in a speech at Tenbury High School. I would be very proud if my children, like my grandparents, sister and brother also attended.

I also find it interesting that people think living in the city is great or more fun. This is not necessarily true.

Tenbury has so much to offer a child, young and old people. Maybe for the 20 - 35 age range it is more debatable.

This is why having a discussion of what Tenbury needs to redefine itself for the future as a market town is important to us all.

Can we stop the attacks between the Yesco's and the No's and have a sensible debate on how this town could move forward.

Could we place the tesco issue to one side, book the Pump Rooms. Start with a blank piece of paper and address:

How can Tenbury refound itself as a 'market' town fit for the future and how can we as a 'community' work together to achieve our common aspiration.

If Tesco is in that mix and this is what people want. Then I shall support it. Until this question is addressed I am against a supermarket in the town, particularly on the cattle market site.

Ian said...

I didn’t think I really had the energy to respond again to Dr Weaver’s incoherent sentimentality but I can’t let anyone get away with a gratuitous attack on both the Advertiser and me. It is not necessarily that paper’s fault that it claimed that Dr Weaver lived in Tenbury (when, in fact he lives in Birmingham). On this blog on 15th July Dr Weaver unequivocally states that “I grew up in Tenbury. It is my home . . .”. It would be perfectly reasonable for anyone reading that to assume that he lives here. He doesn’t – but grumbles that I took the trouble to research the veracity of his claim. As far as I can recall (well, anyway, since I've been reading/contributing) Dr Weaver is the only blogger to state his full name and status ("Dr"). I think that if you do that you must expect readers to assume that you are claiming some special status and should thus expect to have your bona fides scrutinised.

Thanks to Leslie again for her fair, balanced and thoughtful contributions.

Miles Weaver said...

Mr Pirate,

I do it the other way around. My girlf works in Bham and I work in Leicester. This I hope will change.

But more importantly, as many weekends as possible - I stay with my parents. Just like I did last Wednesday and previously I spent the weekend with my aunt in Ludlow.

Anyway, the same point and I shall stop. You are attacking someone as I supplied my name. Many people will know me; if not all.

I supply my name, you supply yours then we can have a debate. I shall not respond to any more petty and immature comments from those that hide behind being a 'Tenbury Pirate'.

You never know you could be a Tesco troll.

Miles Weaver said...

These are a funny set of exchanges and demonstrates how stupid the debate has got.

Tenbury is my home - it is where all my family, friends, school etc is. In fact, in all the previous general elections I have voted in Tenbury. To this day, I am still registered on the electoral register. But that is just stupid.

As for claiming special status because I used an email address with 'Dr.' in the title. Then what are you on? I have a PhD so, I am always Dr. Weaver! Just like 'Mr. Longbeard'. It is not a status, it is 6 years hard work.

I stopped using that address and always refer to myself as Miles.

Ian and WR15 are they not the same person?

I state my full name because I care, end of. Have a nice day.

Miles Weaver said...

I have never claimed that I live in Tenbury - but it is still my home.

Ian is your home down South somewhere and you have recently moved to the town?

Anyway, this is distracting from my question of identifying Tenbury needs.

Attacks are from people are on the losing side of the argument. Get back to the argument, the real debate is about the town and not whether I, Miles, grew up, lived, visit or do whatever.

I have a view just like you.

Anonymous said...

tut tut Ian you've just changed Lesley's sexual orientation.

I'm surprised you made such a mistake.

Anonymous said...

like so many topics being discused on this blog it has become another game of bat and ball.

Advertiser error said...

Ian - I don't agree that Miles stating "I grew up in Tenbury. It is my home" makes it reasonable to assume that he lives here.
Many people live away from 'home'. Students for example. Anyway, who knows if they even saw that?
Journalists should ask the people they are writing about - not just "assume". It's not just about getting facts right, it's about respecting the people they write about.
If a mistake appears in print, it's often accepted as "fact". Better to get it right first time.

@WR15 said...

I am Ian, but not that Ian.

Miles Weaver said...

Ian - do step forward as many of us thought it was @WR15 - this is inappropiate.

Sorry for the waffle you hit a nerve. If anyone asked me to describe myself, 'Tenbury' would be in the first sentence. Do not take this away from me for your point scoring because I supply my full name and you do not.

Let's get back to the debate?

I have not read a set of arguments FOR a supermarket other than price and value. We have discussed this as being unfounded and not necessarily correct when you take into account other factors.

Can someone explain why a Tesco is necessary? and not a community focused solution that addresses a range of issues.

As we already have one medium sized supermarket - what you are saying is Tesco offers something much better? Please do describe what this is.

Ian said...

. . . and I am Ian too, but not that one. In fact, the other one. I have university and professional qualifications too - but what has that got to do with anything? Opinions are only any good if they are seen to be soundly based on evidence and experience. I have much sympathy with the view of Anonymous at 1003 this morning.

Ian said...

choice . . . competition and thus a more competitive environment . . . investment . . . redevelopment of an eyesore . . . better shopping experience (especially for families) . . . a reduction in the number of journeys to shops elsewhere (most of Tenbury's family shopping is done out of Tenbury) . . . greater footfall in the town centre . . . more employment opportunities . . .


NONE of these at ANY price of course . . . but I think the present option is the only one around.

@WR15 said...

Miles, slow down a bit I can't keep up.

"Could we place the tesco issue to one side, book the Pump Rooms. Start with a blank piece of paper and address:......"

Didn't this just happen with the revision to the Tenbury & Burford Parish Plan undertaken by the Tenbury Area Partnership?

Mr. Longbeard said...

Mr pirate.............

Did I miss a post?!?!?

My real name is irrelevant in this discussion, and I doubt I'll give it for public publication now I have used my online persona as I like to keep RL and the internet separate.

But fear not, I don't know who WR15, Leslie, bumblebee, Ian, or Miles are, it makes not a jot of difference to me.

What's in a name after all??

Power Station meeting said...

What about a public meeting in the Regal, like when the council wanted a power station in Tenbury?

Mr. Longbeard said...

"What is the point of having cake if you can't eat it? or do you mean something else? sounds like a waste of cake to me."

There is no cake, the cake is a lie ;)

Lesley said...

My my, I will have to set aside some time tonight to keep up with all the posts. Nice to see a lively debate - a bit like the House of Commons today!

Miles, like you, I am openly identifiable on here. I have nothing to hide but also hope that others respect the information available.

I also understand your position Miles, there are many people who would love to stay in Tenbury, but have to leave for better (or any!) career opportunities. It's not like you can really pursue an academic career here, is it?

We remain in Tenbury because it is our home, but I usually work in the centre of Birmingham and my husband has recently been working overseas. If we earned less, we would have had to move away. Fortunately we can absorb the transport costs. My husband has been out of the country for the past 9 months (working) and me the last 4 (travelling), does that diminish our rights to an opinion because we are not currently in Tenbury? Do I have to wait until we return? Also 2 or our children went away to Uni, one for 3 years and one for 4 years, with the other having to move to Birmingham to find work. What about them? Tenbury is still their home isn't it?

I feel that you, like my children, have a far more valid contribution than many of the objectors who wrote to MH last time - like John Challis for instance. Does he have any links with Tenbury? does anyone in Wigmore have a right to object to a supermarket development in Tenbury? or is it only so called celebrities?

Right, I am off to catch up on here!

With respect to all, as always

@WR15 said...

There seems little point in a public meeting. Those who are anti Tesco will rant. Those who are pro will keep their heads down. Those who don't care won't come. What ever is said it won't make a jot of difference. If the plan is valid it will be passed. If not it won't. If anyone spots a valid reason to object they can do so through the proper channels. No doubt the NoTesco group will organise a mass mailing campaign to clog up the office at Malvern and cost the Council Tax payer more pain. It won't make any difference.
Even if the Malvern Councillors feel cowed into rejecting the application due to public pressure Tesco will appeal (& no doubt win if they have a valid case) & Malvern & Tenbury will be all the poorer as they will have to pay costs and will loose any S106 money so might be forced to alter the road layout at Council Tax Payers expense.

Ian said...

Common sense from @WR15.

Bumblebee said...

"better shopping experience (especially for families)".

- The combo of cheap online grocery shopping, existing easily accessible supermarkets in Ludlow and great quality local food shops is great for our young family - all the 'experience', value and choice we crave and more really. The kids enjoy a wander in to town of a weekend too to get local food supplies.

"It's not like you can really pursue an academic career here, is it?"

- Why not? I do, my job title's similar to Miles' and I've managed fine for the last 8x years.

Ian said...

" The combo of cheap online grocery shopping, existing easily accessible supermarkets in Ludlow " - someone else who assumes everyone has access to the two big Cs - computers and cars.

Bumblebee said...

Merely explaining the experiences of ourselves and other young families [that I know of] locally. Our weekly spend is spread between easily accessible and quality local food shops and the range of options I mentioned re local supermarkets. In terms of young families - I think all I know of [over a number of years] in our location either have a car or easy access to one in some way [family or friends etc].

Anonymous said...

well said lesley
when u look at the 800 odjections more were from away last time

Anonymous said...

@wr15 well said

Anonymous said...

bumblebee is out of touch

Mr. Longbeard said...

"Merely explaining the experiences of ourselves and other young families [that I know of] locally....."

And you'd mostly be right.
However as a family man I'd welcome the opportunity to do the weekly shop in town so as to cut down on my fuel bill.

It's also worth noting that online grocery shopping (for me at least) does not work, I like to see, touch, smell what I'm going to buy.

Bumblebee said...

@WR15 said: "...Those who are pro [Tesco] will keep their heads down."

Is that like this enthusiatic pro Tesco campaigner on the Futures blog is doing in the comment [pasted in] below?

"bumblebee TENBURY PEOPLE ARE GETTING FED UP WITH YOUR ANTI TESCO OPINNIONS GO AND MOVE TO THE FALKLANDS IF YOU DO NOT WANT A TESCO YOU [moderated] CRACKPOT"

Clearly someone engaging in reasoned debate [with their head down?].

Interestingly this individual also claimed [again pasted from same thread]: "i am a tesco employee"..

Anonymous said...

The size of the tesco store is far to big for the cattle market site .How do they expect the shop to be functional with only 100 car parking spaces.?

@WR15 said...

I'm trying to be as fair as possible with the moderation. If you feel your comment should be published or want me to re-consider something that has been published, email me at tenburywells@gmail.com (Address is also shown a few inches from the top of the blog on the righthand side)

Lesley said...

I think Tesco will chip away at every application. They aren't going to start with the ideal solution, as that is going to involve the biggest investment on their part. I haven't seen the plans yet but it is stated here that the infirmary isn't retained on this latest submission. For them, retaining it gives them virtually unusable space, so they aren't going to include it unless they really have to, if at all.

I don't know how others feel, but personally I think that the Spar building is an eyesore and is a bigger detriment to Tenbury than the infirmary is a benefit. I do hope that if planning permission is agreed at some stage, that Tesco could be persuaded to negotiate with the current occupiers/owners, so that the development could include removal of that building, accommodating the current businesses within the scheme. I think it is fairly obvious that the Spar itself would never survive with a Tesco next door anyway but at least there would be a chance of Tesco offering them compensation if they were improving the scheme as a result.

It may be that having to retain the infirmary will be a bridge too far for Tesco, if so, if MH sticks to the rationale for it's last decision then Tenbury won't get a supermarket. We can only hope that the process is completely quickly, whatever the outcome, because there can be no Plan B until a final decision is made.

Anonymous said...

You might as well demolish 99% of the shops if Tesco come -fish shop card shop, chemist ,flower shop,bread shop ,electrical ,hardware ,cafes you name it they will go .All owned by LOCAL PEOPLE may i add.
Tourist dont come to visit Tesco ,they come to Tenbury to see what they have LOST .(The High Street)

Mr. Longbeard said...

But is "most" townsfolk don't want a Tesco and won't use a Tesco why would local shops be in danger of shutting ??? Colour me confused...

Anonymous said...

what a load of nonsence that 99% will close
tenbury has declined more in the last 6 months without tesco
if tenbury futures have it their way shops will be closing down even faster
Tesco WILL JUMP START the town thats what it needs a good kick up the backside.
people who dont want tescos can shop elsewhere in the town
i am calling on tenbury people to stop listening to tenbury futures because the group believes in buildings in a conservation area but in fact are breaking the law fly posting on other peoples property with out consent bumblebee is a lawbreaker a joke a complete idiot
it not rocket science competition is good for everyone
i am waiting for bumblebee response

@WR15 said...

Please could some one with time on their hands please find me a Town with an in-town Tesco where all (or a goodly percentage of) the other shops have closed (not a town where protesters claim 99% will close) so that I can verify this common claim. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

So its seems okay that you can park your car on the cattle market.

I suppose you have had permission from the landowner have you?

Miles Weaver said...

choice . . . competition and thus a more competitive environment . . .

>> One major player, bye bye independents


investment . . . redevelopment of an eyesore . . .

>> Reason for 'Plan 'B'

better shopping experience (especially for families) . . .

>> Ease of shopping yes as there will be no other shops

a reduction in the number of journeys to shops elsewhere (most of Tenbury's family shopping is done out of Tenbury) . . .

>> Follow Lesley practical points on this. Disagree a little, as the 'supermarket' seems to always win so the argument is about 'place'.


greater footfall in the town centre

>> Ludlow, Bromyard, Kidderminster et al., residents will travel to a smaller Tenbury Tesco. Clever.

OR

Will attract tourists - It better look good then

. . . more employment opportunities . . .

- On the surface in the short-term.


>> Read this in today paper:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/jul/21/william-chase-tyrrells-crisps-founder-friday-interview

Our friend 'Chase' no longer produces potatoes for 'Tyrell's Ludlow Sausage' and other variety crisps, why? because the new investors (bankers) have found a cheaper source.

-> Bang there goes all those livelihoods for potato farmers in the local areas (real supply chain jobs)

Miles Weaver said...

A public meeting would be useful; represented by both sides.

The attacks just have to stop - not what Tenbury is about. Having different views is healthy is a transparent and honest way.

Miles Weaver said...

Mr Longbeard ....

Anne's kitchen did not supply the cake because it has now been made in an Eastern European country.

Miles Weaver said...

@WR15

You could never work at the BBC; this blog seems more like a Murdoch operation.

Miles Weaver said...

Lesley,

Thank-you very much for that contribution.

Like yourself, Tenbury is my home, where my heart is never mind all my family.

I too look forward to the day my career gets me a little closer home. Unless like my mother says, he will soon be back when he tells us some good news.

Tenbury is a remarkable little town; mainly because of it's people. I like catching up with so many people when I come home at weekends but frankly most of the people engaged in this debate, neither know me or I do not know them.

For this reason alone, I find these discussions very odd, indeed.

Miles Weaver said...

Bumble,

Yep, will try and edge to a uni closer to home, soon I hope. However, my girlfriend is rather urbanised.

She complained about me watching 'Countryfile'. The next week I made her spend a weekend on my aunt's farm in Ludlow. She will come around.

Miles Weaver said...

I understand the point about a car.

However, I see it a little differently living in a city centre. If I wanted to go shopping (a Tesco is a stones throw) then it takes a long time to get around for small items; you always come out with loads more than expected.

But not one butcher, bakery etc., in walking distance at all.

I know what I would choose if I had a real choice. It would not be a Tesco.

Food shopping is a chore; I love going to the open market weekly or the farmer market every other week in Brindley Place. Amazing.

I wonder if people actually miss the market in Tenbury?

Here is a question: Of the bloggers on here; how many remember the market in Tenbury?

I am 29 - every Sat there was quite a large market. I remember my nan buying me a brass tortoise in the barn. Also, my mum a helicopter from the toy man. The meat man (hit and miss) and Moody was behind Spar.

This is not so long ago - 80s/90s; oh correlates with the rise of the 'supermarket'. Funny that.

Miles Weaver said...

There are two examples I wish to raise:

1 The swimming pool - Community activists raised the funds for this and volunteers ran it for years. They did, so why can we not?
2. Railways - With today environmental needs. Can you believe you could travel Tenbury to Birmingham direct by train.

The first we are all very proud of (I am particially due to my granddad MBE) and secondly - shame!

Shout up now because it is our children who will say we let them down / or if 'Plan 'B' sees more light can be a source of community pride.

BTW, thanks must go to 'Tenbury Futures' for sticking their necks out and fighting for an alternative that address wider needs. If unsuccessful, people tried, end of. Fair play.

Miles Weaver said...

Competition - must have players on the field in order to 'play' (i.e. alternatives and substitutes to still be in town in 5 years time).

May I ask those on this site, if they have a business and whether a Tesco will be beneficial or not?

BTW, competition needs limits too. I trust the previous poster is well informed on 'subprime lending' and the conditions in which it was allowed to happen. Competition hey? The answer yes, but a little more thought required.

Miles Weaver said...

Bumblebee, is more in touch than you thing.

Read up on other towns and the vast of research papers produced on this topic.

With current environmental concerns we are seeing the role of 'markets' being refounded and embraced once more. The amount of people now growing their own food has been widely reported to increase (see landshare.come).

People care where their food comes from and whom produced it. Apart from jam doughnuts as my dad probably had something to do with it.

Do we no longer believe in 'British' produce or more importantly 'Tenbury'? It's a good brand.

Miles Weaver said...

Would be nice?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/7779395/The-Peoples-Supermarket-communal-cheap-and-democratic.html

I thought Tenbury had more fight and spirit.

Rugby fan 72 said...

property with out consent bumblebee is a lawbreaker a joke a complete idiot
it not rocket science competition is good for everyone
i am waiting for bumblebee response

21 July 2011 22:07


So much for not publishing offensive comments hey Blog meister...or shall we call you Rupert from now on..... And no it is not in the interest of the blog to allow someone of an opposing view to slander someone or call them a complete idiot for having an differing view. It is pretty obvious where you sit on this one, dispite your assurances to the contrary...

Mr. Longbeard said...

I asked on the 14th and received no reply.

So I'll ask again;
Has the futures group been in contact with Mr.Chase, what kind of finances are needed to secure the site & develop it?

I'm concerned that the main thrust of the 'anti' campaign is shop led, and fair enough they don't want the competition, however I fear that they may melt into the background if Tesco are beaten and any perceived threat to their business is gone leaving the site in its current state for another 12 years

@WR15 said...

RugbyFan, You should see the things I don't publish! (especially about your wider family)

As I know (& respect, but not necessarily agree with) Bumble, I sometimes refer comments to him before publication. His response has always been to publish, so that he can respond.

I must admit that on this occasion I didn't refer, but he knows how to find me, and I would be happy to remove if required.

I too object to posters being applied to the outside of buildings. In shops, & in shop windows is fine.

As too my position, I remain not anti-Tesco (which doesn't make me pro). I haven't seen the latest plans, so haven't yet decided whether to object. From the comments & enquiries I receive from people not necessarily on this blog, Tenbury Futures have done a good job of misleading people. (Intentionally or not)

Bumblebee said...

Mmmn.

"..bumblebee is a lawbreaker a joke a complete idiot.."

Mr or Mrs Anonymous, in many ways you're a gift to the people who don't want a supermarket in the town - you probably don't realise this though.

Blog Posts
While I am surprised that WR15 allowed such an overt personal attack to be published without some prior form of consultation, I am never the less happy to come back.. One thing I have noticed is that sometimes comments are allowed up on here which have no supporting refs but are purely speculation. And sometimes similar comments aren't allowed to be published. Take for example Ledbury LOTs chair Rich Hadley's considered reply about the real nature of Ledbury's high st in response to the comments on the town and it's Tesco scenario earlier in this thread.. It wasn't allowed to be published as the blog moderator didn't have enough time to check out his claims - presumably because he wanted to counter them? There seems to be a lack of consistency at this level sometimes WR15.

Mr Anonymous
Anyway.. Back to 'Mr [or Mrs] anonymous'.. As someone who claimed to be a Tesco employee are we to take it that this is the official Tesco line on people who don't want their brand of capitalism in the town [apparently we're law breakers, liars and idiots]?

Maybe anonymous is also an interesting example of Clr Penn's much-mentioned "Silent majority" in Tenbury who want a large Tesco? If he/she is then maybe he/she might want to stand [in their own unique way] and support the Tesco bid at the next planning committee? After all, out of all the [apparently large] 'silent majority' - not one non-Clr or member of the public could be bothered to support the Tesco bid in the hall that night.

There were of course locals and local clrs who spoke against the plan that night though. Maybe that was a clearer indication of what the town actually thought of the issue.

Ian said...

@WR15 - I woud ask Dr Weaver to do your research for you - he seems to have plenty of time on his hands as he posts an inordinate number of messages.

Ian said...

Mr Longbeard is spot on - where were Tenbury Futures before Tesco came along? I look forward to having Mr Longbeard's questions answered.

Tourist Office website said...

The Farmers Market finally gave up with Tenbury because the Council wouldn't let them hold the market on their car park.
Tenbury has a three-times-a-week market near Bowketts. Three times a week is good for a small town.
Unfortunately the Tourist Office website gives wrong information and says it only opens on Tuesday and Friday - it also opens on Saturdays

Anonymous said...

I visited the new W***rsp**ns in Leominster this week. Wish they'd come to Tenbury. What a difference. Excellent value for money drinks and food - much better than what is available now and much much cheaper. On Thursdays you can get a choice of 10 different curries with poppadoms nan bread and rice and a pint of lager beer cider or glass of wine all for £5.99. All this in addition to a daily special and in a lovely clean modern environment. The pub was full - in the week. This is what Tenbury needs more competition for eating and drinking. It will bring in tourists too and the young people with families will not have to travel to Leominster or Kidderminster to benefit from savings in eating out which they often do now (I've been and seen them.) I think W***s***ns should be asked if they are interested in the site which would be ideal just by the river ideal for visitors to the town and young families looking for somewhere to eat with the kids - this is what the people want

BUT never mind all the publicans who will lose their livelihoods - it doesn't matter about them - does it? it's not about sentiment and holding onto the community it's about savings for the spenders BUT think on it would not be long before all the other publicans could not realistically survive the competition and they could close down (unless you think they all make a bomb now and they could survive on less) and then you would have just W***sp***ns and it would not be long before the offers die down and it becomes old and naff with sticky carpets (I've seen this with my own eyes)- what do you think

Anonymous said...

Bumble seems to talk sense

Anonymous said...

Tesco's would be a totally unsuitable store to come to Tenbury Wells. Tenbury is well served for food shops already.

The design that is proposed is completely out of sympathy with the heritage side of the town. You only have to look at what they have put up in Ludlow to know that they do not care at all about the unsightly buildings that they put up.

Companies like Tesco should not behave like bullies in this way, they have been turned down already and should accept it gracefully.

Anonymous said...

The building looks terrible, totally out of sympathy with the heritage of Tenbury. you only have to look at what has been put up in Ludlow to know how uncaring the company is about the aesthetic look of its stores.

This will destroy the town of Tenbury and put all the existing food businesses into bankruptcy. It needs resisting at all costs.

I can't help feeling that anyone who is pro Tesco's coming to Tenbury is actually an employee of Tesco's and they are making them post comments on this blog.

Rugby fan 72 said...

I would urge as many people as possible to write to MHDC and let them know your views, whether for or against. It has been stated on numerous occasions that the plan can only be turned down on planning grounds...if you feel the reasons for the refusal in January have not been addressed than state your case to the MHDC planners....

Miles Weaver said...

OK @WR15

You say you need evidence. So please qualify how 'Tenbury Future's' (for which I have not participated in) have mislead people?

They have put forward a community centric plan and engaged with people using a survey?

What evidence do you have please?

Miles Weaver said...

Good point about the market - but is not that big?

Actually, too right the market should be around the market hall.

I like the old photos of Tenbury which showed market stalls down the one side of the street (of course we have cars now). St Alban's however still does this, a very vibrant market.

At the core of my argument is a vibrant market offering value and choice. This is good for all.

As for the farmer market - why can this not be done on the alternative days that there is not a normal market. Using the Round Market.

Farmer's markets are so popular these days in urban area. Surely in the areas where the produce come from their support is not there. I understand the issue of 'size' and 'catchment'; so a too scale market would be a useful discussion.

What were the factors that lead to the decline of the traditional 'market' in Tenbury? I would be interested in people's views on this. Some of the answer may come out of this discussion.

Miles Weaver said...

Before Tenbury Futures it was actually Mr Chase whom wanted to create a distinguishable 'People's Supermarket' similar to the Ludlow Food Centre but not at the premium end.

It would effectively be a modern day 'market hall' - stalls rented out to those whom want to supply local produce.

Miles Weaver said...

Ian - this is important. There are how many 'anomalous' messages.

Again another attack. Well done. So the Pro-Tesco people are a bunch of 'hacks'. When the the people calling for an alternative actually sit around a table (real town folk), debate and draw up a plan.

There is so many names on the Tenbury Future distribution list. It is amazing. Well done to them and for not biting.

Leave the attacks at home.

BTW, I have plenty of time because I am on leave. Sorry about that.

Miles Weaver said...

Whetherspoons is actually recommended by Camra - this is a 'corporate' (a chain) that supports local ale and community projects. For instance, they have restored bowling greens and historical building and added 'local' photos to demonstrate an areas heritage.

Competition yes; support the local economy yes. Tesco does this - umm?

Miles Weaver said...

How many of the 'Pro-Tesco' people on this site have lived in Tenbury for a long period of time?

Alot of attacks on people who were raised in the town and have a view on how it should be taken forward (many may move back one day). But it seems that the yupiees are having quite alot to say?

Anonymous said...

Companies like Tesco should not behave like bullies in this way, they have been turned down already and should accept it gracefully

Tenbury futures are bullies
MR/MRS anonymous
so if tenbury futures plan was turn down would they tried again
think about it

Anonymous said...

WR15 sides with the pro tesco itif we put stuff up like that Mr o anon it doesn't get published but he is allowed to insult and personally attack bumblebee. Doesn't seem fair

Now watch this it won't gwt published o wait you won't be able to see if it doesn't.

WR15 I think just like Murdoch you need to step down and let someone UNBIASED take over.

«Oldest ‹Older   1 – 200 of 244   Newer› Newest»